Lanczos Singular Value Decomposition for sparse matrices

Math.NET Numerics has singular value decomposition (SVD), but the current implementation doesn’t scale well on large sparse matrices. Also, the implemented algorithm doesn’t allow specifying a maximum number of dimensions: this feature would be useful when doing principal component analysis.
The solution is to get a library like LIBSVDC (https://tedlab.mit.edu/~dr/SVDLIBC/) and DllImport it. This seems to work reliably after some fiddling since the code is not exactly “friendly” to .NET in its current form. However, this unmanaged C code, (sadly, not thread-safe at all), is extremely fast and precise as long as you want the “top n” high order singular values.

I had some time on my hands and I translated the underlying Lanzcos SVD algorithm into pure C#, with extension methods to work on Math.NET Numerics Matrix<double> objects. It is almost as fast as LIBSVDC (discounting the format conversion time) and my limited testing validated the results with respect to that library. It is also thread- and multiprocessor safe.
It presents the factors as a derivative of the Svd<double> type, albeit without condition number, rank, determinant and L2 Norm, or the ability to solve systems: I didn’t need the functionality and my natural laziness turned it into an exercise for the reader :slight_smile:.

What I would like to do is contribute that code (one assembly containing 6 source files and a package config) to Math.NET Numerics, but being lazy I’d like to just send it to a project representative and be done with it.

That is, if anyone is interested.

Vincent Van Den Berghe
Bureau van Dijk Electronic Publishing

(Christoph Rüegg) #2

Thanks, I’d certainly be interested to have a look at it and maybe integrate into mainline. You should be able to add a zip file as attachment to a message right here in the forum.

Have you compared your implementation to our existing Intel MKL native provider?

Hello Christoph,

I’d like to upload the thing, but I get the error message “new users cannot upload attachments”. I have no idea how long one has to wait before one becomes of age here.

Regarding anything comparable in the existing Intel MKL provider, I am assuming you refer to the methods SingularValueDecomposition in MklLinearAlgebraProvider.
Sadly, trying to factor a 75000x30000 sparse matrix to get the 10 largest singular values (vector S) fails miserably (it either reports “out of memory” because it expects a “dense” representation, or continues to run after several hours if you manage to have enough memory to hold it all).
It’s about 20 seconds with Lanczos, directly from the sparse matrix.

Vincent

(blvy) #4

Hi Vincent,

I am looking for a C# implemetation for Lanczos SVD which works with Math.NET SparseMatrix. Do you mind share your implementation to me? Thank you.

• Bruce

Lanczos.zip (721.7 KB)

perhaps it will work now: see attached

Hello Christoph,

It looks like I’m finally old enough to post attachments, so you’ll find it as a reply to someone else in this thread.

Have fun with it!

Vincent