Supporting .Net Standard

Hi
Our Project OPTANO.Modeling links to Math.NET Symbolics (actually the only dependency). We’d like to migrate to .net standard.

Is there any plans to migrate Math.NET Symbolics to .netstandard as well?
I found this thread: Poll: what platforms should Math.NET Numerics support? with a poll (that does not state .net standard and some chatter about pcl, but no conclusion).

We’d really appreciate this. I guess most active projects are going to migrate within the next months.

Thanks for all your great work and looking forward to seeing you on the standard!

Best,
jp

(Christoph Rüegg) #2

Not to “migrate” per se, but certainly to support it properly, at least .Net Standard 2.

In theory it should be reference-able from .Net Standard 2 projects already (using the net40 build). Did you try this already, or did you run into any issues?

Hi!

that was a quick reply! Thanks!

I’ve tested package 0.15.0 in the following scenarios:

• dotnet core 2.0 console app: works
  • netstandard 2.0 library, with a .net 4.6.1 console app as a starter: works

When the symbolics nuget is added to each of the projects (named before), nuget shows a constant warning: warning NU1701: Package ‘MathNet.Symbolics 0.15.0’ was restored using ‘.NETFramework,Version=v4.6.1’ instead the project target framework ‘.NETStandard,Version=v2.0’. This may cause compatibility problems.

That basically says: as long as your dll only uses netstandard20 compatible classes, you are fine. If not, an exception is thrown. Feels kind of itchy. But might work.

(see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/44861229/dotnet-restore-warning-nu1701)

Are all calls of Mathnet symbolics (and of its dependency) netstandard20 compatible?

Best,
jp